Learning Support and Enrichment
The Learning Support and Enrichment Department is a Year 5-12 faculty that oversees students with diverse learning needs, ranging from specific programs for support, to gifted and talented, and English as an additional language. These programs enable a personal freedom and confidence to aspire to and achieve excellence.
The Edmund Rice Touchstones; gospel spirituality, inclusive community, justice and spirituality and liberating education, provide the context within which the Learning Support and Enrichment Department strives to ensure that each individual student is valued, included and provided with the skills and opportunities to experience personal growth and individual success through education.
The Learning Support and Enrichment team currently provides the following:
- Timely identification of students with additional learning needs, either at enrolment or through regular observation and data analysis.
- A dedicated member of the Learning Support and Enrichment team for each year group.
- Annual collaborative planning meetings including input from the student, parents, teachers, pastoral leaders and external professionals.
- Learning adjustments agreed with the student and parent and shared with all teachers.
- Documented evidence of learning adjustments.
- Regular student observations and progress monitoring.
- Evaluation and review of student progress during and after strategy implementation
- Recommendation and implementation of modified learning programs
- Recommendation and implementation of Life Skills courses Year 7-12.
- Internal and External due diligence relating to Disability Discrimination ACT (DDA) 1992, Disability Standards for Education (DES) and Nationally Consistent Collection of Data of students with a disability (NCCD).
The Learning Support and Enrichment team currently provides the following teaching and learning supports:
- Specific in-class student support Year 5-10 based on successful research based strategies.
- One to one substantial support Year 7-10 once per cycle and Year 11 -12, as needed.
- After School Study Support Year 5-10, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 3:15PM – 4:30 PM.
- Applied Literacy Program 100 hour elective Year 9
- Applied Philosophy Program 100 hour elective Year 9
- Literacy Program Year 5 and 6
- Targeted intervention programs – MacqLit, MultiLit and SpellIt
- External Occupational Therapist and Speech Pathologist on site sessions (at cost)
- Da Vinci Decathlon Year 5 and 6, Years 7 and 8 and Years 9 and 10 (lunchtimes)
- Disability provisions for exam blocks