Year 9-10 Curriculum
St Pius X College teaching programs aim to foster critical and creative thinking.
The College aims to provide relevant, authentic, dynamic and creative learning experiences attentive to the needs of each person, promoting the development of the whole person. All members of the community are encouraged to work to the best of their abilities, to realise their potential and to strive for excellence in a safe, healthy and supportive environment.
The courses studied in Stage 5 build upon the knowledge and skills developed in Stage 4. All students study a broad range as approved by NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA).
These courses include:
- Religious Education
- Australian History and Geography
- as well as three electives chosen by the student
The current electives offered are:
- Information and Software Technology
- Design & Technology
- Industrial Technology – Wood
- Visual Arts
- Physical Activity and Sports Studies
- Applied Philosophy
- Language and Literacy
In Years 9 & 10 Mathematics, English, and Science there are specific classes for both higher and lower ability students.
Students may also elect to study a language not offered at the College either through Saturday School or by correspondence through the Open High School. Correspondence courses carry an extra fee paid to an external body.
Year 10 students are also involved in:
- A Community Involvement Program (CIP)
- A program of Reflection Days
- Australian Business Week (ABW)
- Peer Support training
- Other enrichment activities that vary from year to year
All students complete NESA’s All My Own Work program during the year in preparation for their Year 11 studies.